Tips For Brushing & Flossing With Braces
Carefully follow all of the instructions you are given regarding your dental care while wearing your braces. Specific steps may vary depending on the type of braces you have. If you have questions, give us a call.
Tips On When & How To Brush With Braces
- Be Thorough – Be sure to brush thoroughly after any meal or snack. It is important to keep your teeth and braces as clean as possible to avoid potential problems. After brushing your teeth, you should also brush your tongue and rinse thoroughly with water or mouthwash.
- Bring A Travel Toothbrush – It’s a good idea to carry a travel toothbrush when you will be away from home.
- Take Time Before Bed – Before going to bed at night be sure to brush thoroughly and floss carefully. It may take a little extra time but this is an important step in maintaining your oral hygiene on your way to a better smile and healthier teeth.
- Use A Good Toothbrush – Use a soft rounded-bristle toothbrush that is in good condition.
- Keep Spare Toothbrushes – When wearing braces your toothbrushes will wear out faster and need to be replaced more often, so be sure to keep some spare toothbrushes on hand.
Tips On Flossing With Braces
Flossing, with or without braces, is an important part of good oral hygiene. Flossing with braces though can be tricky, use these tips and tricks to get your teeth and braces extra clean:
- Practice Makes Perfect – Flossing with braces may take a little more time and practice to get in all the hard-to-reach places. A floss threader may be necessary to get the floss under the arch wire.
- Don’t Forget Your Gums – Make sure you clean along and under the gum lines with floss each night before going to bed.
- Check The Edges – After you have properly brushed and flossed, your braces should look clean and shiny, making it easy to see the edges of the braces.