Use And Care Of Your Rapid Palatal Expander
Download A Printable RPE Information Sheet
The Rapid Palatal Expander (RPE) is used to widen a narrow top jaw. It is usually painless, but some pressure may be felt as the palatal expander is activated each day.
- As previously mentioned, your appliance needs to be activated each a day for the number of turns you have been instructed to apply. To activate your appliance:
- Insert the key into the hole in the middle of the appliance.
- Gently and steadily push the key toward the back of your mouth. Push it as far back as possible.
- Remove the key towards the back of your throat trying not to pull forward which would reverse the previous turn!
- You will experience a tingling sensation around your nose for a minute.
- After several turns (or after several days), you may notice a space between your front teeth. This is a good sign! This is only temporary and will be closed.
- Be sure to keep your appliance free of food particles.
- You can do this by brushing your appliance while you brush your teeth, by directing your toothbrush towards the roof of your mouth.
- Rinsing with a glass of water will also help loosen food particles which may become lodged on the top of your expander.
- If at any time you experience discomfort that does not go away or if your appliance becomes loose, please call the office.
- If for any reason you cannot keep your scheduled appointment, do not activate your appliance beyond the instructed number of turns.